How I Changed the World, and you are welcome,BTW. by Artemis Smith
My name is Artimus. An unusual name. Growing up with a unique name is problematic. But growing up itself is complex. All that input and trying to make sense of it while your hormones race through your system. Add to that having to deal with other people who have their own ridiculousness, and I'm surprised any of us make it.
But here we are. We're alive and still trying to make sense of it all. And at our age...heh. I'm not a Deadhead; I'm not a fan, but Jerry Garcia, bless his soul, once said, " What a long strange trip it's been.". Truer words were never spoken about life. The fact that you are reading this means that your long strange trip is still continuing. " It ain't over 'til it's over, "another wise man ( Yogi Berra ) said. So here we are. Today. Me writing this, and you reading it. And to overuse the whole quote thing, I must thank Janis Joplin for her statement, "It's all the same day, man. " Exactly so.
I am a Taoist. I always was one, but I didn't know that there was a group that thought like me and that they had a name. Not a Religious Taoist, mind you, but a philosophical Taoist. Religious Tao is similar to Buddhism, with many rituals, chants, prayers, and such; Philosophical Tao, while understanding that those things are important, does not feel necessary.
There is only one way to be a better person or have a better life. You have to choose it. You must want to be a better person. You must do things for others. Even those people that you don't like. Especially people that you don't like, as that has a bonus. Yes, you get the karma points and all that, but you also get to mess with them. I have a neighbor that I cannot stand. He's selfish, manipulative, and judgemental. He doesn't like me either, so when I do something nice for him, it confuses him, and I love it.
Don't just think about or pray for things to get better. Become better. Do something nice. Plant a flower, feed a squirrel, greet a neighbor or his dog, and forgive that asshole that cut you off. Become more like what you wish others were. And pardon them when they disappoint you. They are who they are. It is more important that you be who you want to be. The ripple effect is natural and scientifically proven. It's called The Fibonacci Sequence. Look at a shell or a sunflower and note the circular pattern. The pattern starts out small and grows more prominent as it ages. Imagine all those things we are growing in that same way. Which part of you do you want to develop the best. What wolf do you want to feed?
I will tell you a story. ' Once upon a time... did you brush your teeth and wash your face and ears? I thought so. Go on. Get on with your bad self. Clean up, put your jammies on, and I'll continue".
" Once upon., wait, I already said that. So, I watched political video stuff on my computer, a little high, a wee bit tipsy, as it's said, when I had an epiphany. In case you don't know the word, it comes from the Greek word epiphany ( translated from ancient Greek ), meaning " an experience of a sudden and striking realization. The Japanese call it Satori. There are probably more words for it, but those are the two that I know.
So there I was, a bit inebriated, and this thought occurred to me. First, a little more about myself; I am not political. I vote and sign many petitions but do not actively protest or run for office. I am a lazy man; honestly, I don't care much. I know deep in my heart and soul that all will be well. To quote another favorite, "Every little thing gonna be alright." ( Bob Marley. Duh ).
But the thought that I had was a bit of an earworm. It drilled its way in and attached itself to those odd neural pathways. Infectious little bastard.
When I turned eighteen and was preparing to vote for the first time, I started paying attention to that stuff, but I needed to learn more about it. My mother worked for the voting places, so I asked her. I knew we had two major parties and many smaller cabals, but I needed to figure out to which group I belonged.
She told me that she was Independent and that she just chose whatever based on how she felt about things rather than following any particular group. So I decided to do the same thing, never being much of a joiner, though I liked the idea that I joined a group called Independent. Irony. I love it. So Me.
Politics. I put them in the same category as religion, sports, and reality shows.
Comments
Post a Comment