Army stories
On July 2nd, 1980, Jimmy Carter re-established the draft. We weren't at war, but Afghanistan looked problematic, and there was concern that the post-Vietnam armed forces would not be adequate to deal with the situation. So males between eighteen and twenty-six had to register for service.
Although I was twenty-two, I was grandfathered into the repeal of conscription and didn't have to register. However, like many young men, my brother and his friend Jeff had to.
They went down to wherever they had to do this thing together. They were always together in my mind. I only saw one with the other. They went in two different directions after this day. Rather than just registering and going about his life's path ( yes, it's all part of one's life path. Shut up. ), my brother joined the army. He became a cook and spent the next two years in Germany.
Jeff joined the airforce and was kicked out because he went AWOL during boot camp. He wanted to watch a baseball game, snuck out, and got to a local bar, where he was caught. I love that story. He and I became friends ( my friend, as opposed to his, just being my brother's friend ), and later we became roommates, living with my friend and former roommate, Andre, for a year.
During that year, I attempted to go to college. So I enrolled in Eastern Michigan University, just down the street, taking various philosophy and liberal arts classes. But unfortunately, I was not able to align my working life, my college life, and my generally fucked up life. So it goes.
Before this, when I was nineteen or twenty, I experienced a similar ennui and moved to NYC. It was ridiculous. I had no idea what I was doing. I took all my money and just went. I stayed for the first week at a small hotel in Brooklyn Heights, taking daily trips into the city for job and housing searches with side trips for curiosity. I ended up staying with my ex in Queens for a bit, but she finally kicked me out; during that time, the husband of my exes girlfriend and I were talking one day about my life choices, and I had mentioned needing direction and talked about joining the service.
He and I grew close during this time. But unfortunately, he had some serious medical problems. He needed marrow transfusions and was obviously close to the end. Still, being Irish, he was as good-humored as he could be, and he seemed to enjoy my complaining about my comparatively more minor problems. He thought I should join the marines and become " the best of the best. " I think he thought I should grab the most out of life possible. But, of course, that is understandable under the circumstances.
Comments
Post a Comment